Sunday, January 17, 2010

L'Amour Est un Oiseau Rebelle



The Metropolitan Opera's live HD telecast of Bizet's Carmen to movie theatres set a record with 240,000 viewers. (Carmen blew away the record set by Puccini's Madama Butterfly last March with 197,000 viewers.) I saw and heard it in the sold out State Theatre right here in State College.

Ah, Habanera

The bird you thought you had caught
beat its wings and flew away ...
love stays away, you wait and wait;
when least expected, there it is!
All around you, swift, swift,
it comes, goes, then it returns ...
you think you hold it fast, it flees
you think you're free, it holds you fast.
Love! Love! Love! Love!
Love is a gypsy child,
it has never, ever, known law;
if you love me not, then I love you;
if I love you, you'd best beware!

I cannot understand how her dress stayed on.



No comments: